Thursday, February 23, 2012

Blame it all on Danielle

Since about 1985, I've been perfectly content to chug along at 25 miles a week, maintaining my weight, blood pressure, etc.  I could even eat the occasional bowl of ice cream without fear of blimping out.

In May 2011, my daughter Danielle registered for the Pittsburgh Marathon.  As I walked with her to the corrals, I was swelling with pride.  My last minute  advice (sip some water at every aid station, run your own race, etc.) caused me to tear up.  I just had to walk away, telling Dan I'd see her at the finish line.  I didn't know it at the time, but I had been bitten by the bug.

Some two weeks later, Danielle called me and said "let's register for a marathon in the fall."  I thought why not, I can train back up.  I had run one sub 3:00 and several sub 3:10 races back in my younger days.  This can't be too hard, can it???

So amping my weekly mileage up during one of the hottest summers in recent memory, I began to achieve a level of fitness needed to at least finish another 26.2.

We registered to run the Wine Glass Marathon in Corning, NY, which incidently is a great course; very flat and very fast (for fast runners).  Some would say a monster was born.

                                                       "Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever."
                                                                                    Lance Armstrong

No comments:

Post a Comment